The drug discovery and development process is a highly structured and interactive one that involves frequent communication between the many departments that play a role in drug research and development.
- Discovery: Research is at the forefront of the drug discovery and development process at Bristol-Myers Squibb. The role of the Discovery organization is to discover novel medicines that will benefit patients with serious unmet medical needs and develop these to Proof of Confidence (POC). We seek to design and deliver a robust pipeline of high quality drug candidates driven by internal Discovery efforts and enhanced by both external partnerships and business development.
- Exploratory Clinical and Translational Research: Exploratory Clinical & Translational Research (ECTR) defines and executes early clinical and translational strategies that drive effective scientific and business decisions throughout the drug development continuum, maximizing the potential for innovative and differentiated medicines for patients with serious unmet medical needs.
- Pharmaceutical Development: The role of Pharmaceutical Development is to design, scale-up, and develop safe and cost-effective manufacturing processes for drug substance and drug product to support drug discovery, safety, and clinical development studies, global registrations, and product commercialization.
- Development: The Development organization optimizes the development of our medicines by ensuring world-class therapeutic area and scientific knowledge, drug development excellence, and integration with and between functions across Research and Commercial.
- Medical: The Medical organization engages in data delivery and influential information exchange that advances the science, accelerates patient access, shapes medical practice and drives appropriate adoption of our medicines.
- Global Regulatory, Safety and Biometrics: The Global Regulatory, Safety and Biometrics organization is responsible for developing, planning, and executing the global regulatory and pharmacovigilance strategy for our assets; analyzing and reporting results from scientific/clinical studies in support of the initial and continued registration and life-cycle management of safe and effective medicines with optimal labeling; and ensuring compliance with global regulatory/safety requirements.
- Global Clinical Operations: The Global Clinical Operations is the group responsible for the operational design and execution of BMS-sponsored Phase I - IV clinical trials across over 40+ countries and all BMS therapeutic areas as well as the execution of Non-Regulatory Data Generation studies.
- R&D Strategy and Planning: The R&D Strategy and Planning organization optimizes pipeline delivery by providing strategic insights and driving operational excellence across Research and Development with a clear focus on bringing new medicines to patients.